Islamic Finance Industry: Between Understanding, Awareness and Attitude
Seminar Industri Kewangan Islam: Antara Kefahaman, Kesedaran & Sikap (Islamic Finance Industry: Between Understanding, Awareness and Attitude)
Main Hall of National Mosque, Kuala Lumpur, Tuesday 23rd September, 2014 – The International Shariah Research Academy for Islamic Finance (ISRA) in collaboration with the National Mosque, Department of Islamic Development Malaysia in Kuala Lumpur and Federal Territory Islamic Religious Department jointly organised a seminar on the Islamic finance industry with the theme : ” Between Understanding, Implementation and Attitude”.
The seminar was officiated by the Deputy Minister of Finance Datuk Haji Ahmad bin Haji Maslan following the Welcoming Remark of Prof. Dr. Mohamad Akram Laldin, Executive Director of ISRA.
This was an exclusive tailored made programme which has been designed in assisting Imams to have better understanding on the banking business functions, activities and acquire knowledge pertaining to the intricacies of its operations. Participation in this seminar will enable the Imams in playing proactive role in enlightening the community regarding Islamic finance.
The seminar that was run in the Malay language covered a wide range of Shariah and Islamic finance issues. The seminar deliberated on the following topics:
- An overview of Islamic Finance and its applications.
- The approach of Riba in modern Islamic Finance: Societal understanding and existing alternatives.
- Evaluating the concept of Shariah non-compliance investment: Current trends.
- Discussion on the Shariah Status of Amanah Saham Bumiputera and Amanah Saham Nasional Berhad.
- Legal Issues in Islamic Finance.
The seminar was led by leading Shariah scholars and industry experts, amongst them:-
- Ustaz Mohd Nazri Chik, Head of Shariah Department, Bank Islam Malaysia Berhad.
- Ustaz Mohd Hafiz Haji Fauzi, Head of Waqf and Zakat Department, Bank Muamalat Malaysia Berhad.
- Ustaz Mohd Bahroddin Badri, Researcher ISRA.
- Ustaz Haji Mat Jais Bin Kamos, Senior Assistant Mufti, Selangor Mufti Department.
- Dr. Hakimah Haji Yaacob, Researcher ISRA.
This one full-day seminar was well attended by more than 150 participants comprising of imams and staff from several Islamic-based institutions from the Klang Valley.