PROF. DR. ASHRAF BIN MD. HASHIM
Senior Researcher -cum- CEO ISRA Consultancy Sdn Bhd
- 1991- B.A. (Shari'ah) Islamic University in Medina, Saudi Arabia
- 1995 - M.A. (Fiqh and Usul Fiqh) University of Jordan, Amman, Jordan
- 1999 - P.h.D (Islamic Law) University of Birmingham, United Kingdom
- 2001 - Postgraduate Diploma in Shari'ah Law and Practice, International Islamic University Malaysia
- 1991 - Assistant Lecturer at the Department of Islamic, Revealed Knowledge, International Islamic University, Malaysia.
- 1995 - Lecturer at the same department
- 1999 - Assistant Professor at the Department of Fiqh and Usul al-Fiqh, International Islamic University Malaysia.
- 2003 - Associate Professor at the Department of Fiqh and Usul al- Fiqh, International Islamic University Malaysia.
- 2010 - Professor at International Centre of Education in Islamic Finance (INCEIF), Malaysia. Senior Researcher at International Shari’ah Academy for Islamic Finance (ISRA)
- 2012 - Chief Executive Officer, ISRA Consultancy Sdn. Bhd. (A consultancy arm of International Research Academy for Islamic Finance, Malaysia)
Areas of Interest
- Islamic Banking
- Islamic Capital Market
- 11/2006 – 08/2007Fellowship Award: Visiting Research Fellow (Chevening Fellowship Programme, administered by British Council) at Oxford Centre for Islamic Studies, United Kingdom.
- 11/2010 - present Member, Shari’ah Advisory Council, Bank Negara Malaysia.
- 01/2012 - present Member, National Fatwa Council, Malaysia.
- 07/2012 - present Member, Shari’ah Advisory Council, Securities Commission of Malaysia.
- 10/2012 - present Chairman, Shari’ah Committee, Bursa Malaysia.
- 03/2012 - present Registered Shari’ah Adviser, Securities Commission of Malaysia.
- 07/2007 – 01/2011 Shari’ah Consultant/Advisor* for Al Rajhi Banking & Investment Corporation, Malaysia.
- 06/2008 – 02/2011 Shari’ah Consultant/Advisor* for ACR Retakaful MEA, Bahrain.
- 06/2008 – 02/2011 Shari’ah Consultant/Advisor* for ACR Retakaful SEA, Malaysia.
- 01/2009 - present Shari’ah Advisor* for Association of Islamic Banking Institutions Malaysia.
- 06/2007 - present Fellow, Islamic Banking and Finance Institute Malaysia.
- 06/2007- present Shari’ah Advisor* for ZI Shari’ah Advisory Services Sdn. Bhd., Malaysia.
- 10/2010 - present Shari’ah Advisor* for Mauritius Leasing, British American Investment Group, Mauritius,
- 01/2010 – present Shari’ah Advisor* for Securus Data Centre, Singapore.
- 09/2010 - present Shari’ah Advisor* for Sabana REIT, Singapore.
- 04/2005 - 07/2007 Shari’ah Consultant/Advisor* for Alliance Bank Group Malaysia.
- 09/2005 - 06/2008 Shari’ah Consultant/Advisor* for Takaful Malaysia.
- 09/2005 - 06/2008 Shari’ah Consultant/Advisor* for Asean Retakaful International Limited.
- 2006 - 2007 Shari’ah Consultant/Advisor* for Amana Takaful, Sri Lanka.
- 12/2005 Expert witness for Royal Commission of Inquiry into the Standard Operating Procedure, Approaches or Regulations in The Handling of Body Search in Connection with Arrest and Detention by the Police.
* Main responsibilities of Shari’ah Consultant/Advisor are, among others, to approve product structure & documentation, supervise the implementation of the product (Shari’ah compliance) and to conduct necessary training.
Articles in Journals
- Ashraf Md. Hashim, ‘Kaedah Perlaksanaan Hukuman Sebat di Dalam Islam’, (The Execution of Whipping Punishment Under Islamic Law), Jurnal Syariah, University of Malaya, Vol. 8, No. 2, July 2000, pp. 1-14.
- Ashraf Md. Hashim, ‘Investigation: Between the Privacy Right of the Suspect and the Interest of the Society’, Korea Journal of Islamic Culture, Korea Institute of Islamic Culture, Vol. IV, Dec. 2000, pp. 59-74.
- Ashraf Md. Hashim, “Tahap Pembuktian di Dalam Kes-kes Jenayah: Kajian Perbandingan Antara Undang-undang Islam dan Sivil”, (Level of Proof in Criminal Cases: A Comparative Study Between Islamic Law and Malaysian Law), Jurnal Syariah, University of Malaya, Vol. 9, No. 2, July 2001, pp. 13-32.
- Ashraf Md. Hashim, ‘The Rights of the Accused to Compensation’, Hamdard Islamicus, Vol. XXV, April-June 2002, pp. 59-72.
- Ashraf Md. Hashim, ‘Condition of al-Hirz in Stealing: A Contemporary View’, al-Tajdid, Research Centre, International Islamic University Malaysia, Issue No. 12, August 2002, pp. 147-166.
- Ashraf Md. Hashim, ‘The Concept of Competition and Award in Islam”, Arab Law Quartely, 2003, pp. 309-325.
- Ashraf Md. Hashim, “Body Search from the Perspective of Islamic Law”, Shari’ah Law Reports,  3 ShLR, pp. 1 -17.
- Ashraf Md. Hashim, “The Collection of Waqf through Insurance Companies: A Critical Analysis of the Malaysian Experience”, Review of Islamic Economics, Vol. 11 No. 1, 2007, pp. 63 – 74.
- Ashraf Md. Hashim, “Credit Card from Islamic Perspective: A Suggested Solution”, 2008, completed and submitted for publication.
- Ashraf Md. Hashim, “Globalisation and the Process of Localisation in Islamic Banking and Finance: Malaysia as a Case Study”, Hamdard Islamicus, April-June 2011, Vol. XXXIV No 2, pp. 7 - 28.
- Ashraf Md. Hashim and Shabana M Hasan, “Prospects and Outlook of Islamic Wealth Management: Post Global Financial Crisis”, 2013, Q Report, Issue No. 2, pp. 22 – 27.
- Ashraf Md. Hashim, “Floating Debenture from Islamic Perspectives”, an ongoing research.
- Ashraf Md. Hashim, Mohamed Fairooz Abd Khir and others, ‘Parameter Hiyal dalam Kewangan Islam’, (The Parameter of Hiyal in Islamic Financial System), ISRA Research Paper No. 23/2011, 70 pages.
- Ashraf Md. Hashim and Eqhwan Mokhzanee Muhammd, ‘Pioneering Thoughts on Commodity Hawalah: Facilitating the Trading of Debt’, ISRA Research Paper No. 26/2011, 18 pages.
- Ashraf Md. Hashim, “Rights of Suspect and Accused under Islamic and Malaysian Law”, (International Law Book Services, Kuala Lumpur, 2004), 177 pages.
- Syed Sikandar Shah and Ashraf Md. Hashim, “Islamic Law of Worship”, (Research Centre, International Islamic University Malaysia, Kuala Lumpur, 2009), 170 pages.
Chapter or Part of Book
- Ashraf Md. Hashim, “Husn al-Zann dan Kepentingannya Kepada Pengukuhan Gerakan” (The Importance of Husn al-Zann towards Strengthening a Movement) in Politik Melayu & Penyatuan Ummah (Malay Politic and the Unity of Ummah), (Angkatan Belia Islam Malaysia, Kuala Lumpur 2002) pp. 55-63.
- Ashraf Md. Hashim and Ammar Fadzil, “Yusoff Zaky Yacob’s Contribution to Islamic Studies in the Malay World” in Monograph on Selected Malay Intellectuals, (Research Centre, International Islamic University Malaysia, Kuala Lumpur 2003), pp. 283-314.
- Ashraf bin Md. Hashim, “Shariah Contracts for Islamic Financial Instruments – Part 2” in Islamic Financial System: Principles and Operations, (ISRA, Kuala Lumpur 2011), pp.243-296.
Articles in Newspapers/Magazines/Bulletin
- Ashraf Md. Hashim, ‘Gunakan Ilmu Hiasi Rumah’, (Decorating House with Knowledge) Anis, March 2001, pp. 32-33.
- Ashraf Md. Hashim, ‘Bohong Sunat Dalam Islam’, (Recommended Lying in Islam) Cermin, May 2001, pp. 29-33.
- Ashraf Md. Hashim, ‘Kejayaan Wanita”, (The Success of Women), Ibubapa, August 2001, pp. 24 - 25.
- Ashraf Md. Hashim, ‘Hukum Makanan Dalam Islam’, (Food in Islam), Al-Islam, January 2004, pp. 52-54.
- Ashraf Md. Hashim, ‘Lelaki Baik Tidak Kahwin Perempuan Jahat’, (Good Men will not Marry Bad Women), Cermin, January 2005, pp.14-17.
- Ashraf Md. Hashim, ‘Isu Pensijilan dan Pemakaian Logo Halal’, (Issue on Halal Certificate), Demi Masa, May 2005, p. 4.
- Ashraf Md. Hashim, ‘Hutang Organisasi’, (Organisational Debt), Mingguan Malaysia, September 10, 2006, p. 9.
- Ashraf Md. Hashim & Eqhwan Mokhzanee bin Muhammad, ‘Sukuk Alim-Innovation in Simplicity’, ISRA Bulletin, October, 2010.
- Ashraf Md. Hashim, Ju’alah (Commission) from Shariah Perspective, Malaysian ICM (a bi-annual bulletin of Malaysian Islamic Capital Market, Securities Commission Malaysia), Jan-June 2012, Vol. 7, No. 1, pp. 10-15.